Thursday, February 24, 2011

1st timer to Dera

From Amy:

Well, we are about 5 weeks away from going to Dera, Ethiopia, and I am excited to go for the first time and try to record as many "first timer" experiences as I can to bring back with me. My hope is to use technology to help Dera to feel closer to everyone here in the states that are following this project.

I will be leaving my family (4 kids and hub) for 10 days, and it will be my first time in Europe and Africa, although the stay in Europe will only be a layover, I am sure there will be stories to tell.

I went yesterday to get my vaccines for the trip, and I think the price tag for vaccines hurt more than the shots themselves, ouch! I had no idea! My kids were dying that I had to get 7 shots! My son Chase did not believe me that I didn't cry. What does that say about his view of me? I am not sure I want to know, but for the record, I did NOT cry!


self portrait of my one remaining Garfield bandaid

Since I am a photographer, my main purpose in going to Dera, is to document the project and the whole story through pictures in hopes that the images will be able to make the Dera project more real for people here. I usually shoot families, weddings, and lots of portraits, so this type of shooting will be more documentary style and there is quite a difference. I've been spending a little time in the National Geographic studying images in there asking myself, what is it about this picture that tells the story? Where was the photographer standing, where is the light coming from, what type of lens? Last summer I was lucky enough to go to St. Lucia, and in the short time there, I was very happy with the images I took, but there is a big difference between St. Lucia and Ethiopia, mainly color. St. Lucia was a playground, and everything was so colorful it just felt happy. When I think of Dera and what it will be like, I think of the color brown. It will be very brown. But, I am learning that the people are amazing, and that is my goal, to showcase them, their spirit and their lives.

The countdown is on.

No comments:

Post a Comment