Thursday, June 3, 2010

450 People, 950 Teeth

by Brittany Lay
March 2010 Team

I was a part of the dental team that went to Ethiopia. Our team consisted of three dentist, four dental assistants, and two people to help sterilize. What a team we had! In three days we were able to see 450 people and extract around 950 teeth. I don't think I have worked so hard in my life. But when they need so much, you are willing to do about anything to help these people. I wish we could have done more while we were there but there is just not enough hours in the day. If I can make things work I will be there again next year. What a life changing experience! It really puts in to perspective what is really important in life, and that is helping each other to have a better life. When you see the conditions of how they are living and the hard access they have to obtain water which is life, it is heart breaking. While I was working in the heat we had so many flies all around us, and us Americans are so quick to brush them away. But the people in Dera just let them crawl all over their faces, their eyes and mouth. I asked Chantal why they don't brush them away and she said because they are just trying to survive and that is probably the least of their worries. Another thing that shocked me was in their market place their bathroom is just out in the open. They just squat on the dirt and go in the middle of the market. That was a big surprise to me. But what a wonderful experience it was. They are such a happy and loving people it was very humbling to me. I would love to go back again to help these people have a better life. What an amazing thing Rochell and Chantal are doing to help these people of Dera get water so they can survive and grow. The love they have for these people and the service they are doing is contagious. Hopefully more people will reach out and serve those in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment