Wednesday, July 28, 2010

My Friend Marta

One of the great things about returning to Dera, Ethiopia for the 3rd time in one year is the friendships. We're all beginning to be familiar with one another.

I love it, love it, love it.

Last March I met a woman that has forever changed my life.

This picture was taken at our first meeting... the day after her toddler son had died. Her blind husband was off to bury the child. She couldn't go, she is too sick... she is HIV positive. You can see my grief in this picture (I try so hard to conceal my emotions but I had lost control)... but not nearly as great as hers.

This is her 7 year old son, Abi. He has tuberculosis. But a smile to capture any heart.

We were able to provide her and her family with food and some money each month. (about $20)

Needless to say, she was one of the first people I wanted to see when we arrived a few weeks ago. I was so anxious to see her, not knowing what to expect or how I would find her.

Imagine my JOY when my dear friend wrapped her tiny arms around me- healthy, happy, and FULL of LIFE. What's more, imagine hearing her words (though foreign and through a translator) telling me that we had saved her life.

She said that the day we met her she had laid down to die, having told God that if she was to live she needed an angel.

We arrived about an hour later.

She knows that her life was spared.

She and her husband passionately presented a business plan to me, soliciting a small loan in the amount of $350 to start a hay business. They believe this is the beginning of better days for them.

Would you like to help support Marta?

You can make a donation of any amount to Hope Arising. When I exceed this goal, we'll apply your donation to another friend of mine.

I have many.

Here's a picture of Abi now: (Please note the shape of his head and the light in his eyes. It's amazing what food and medicine can do! And note that I am clearly the happiest in Ethiopia.)
And Abi LOVED using my camera.

Here's a picture he took of his beautiful mother, Marta. I promise to post another photo of her when I get one...

1 comment:

  1. Amazing what you all are doing one person, one village, one pipeline at a time.

    ReplyDelete